Monday, April 13, 2015

CROSSBOWS & CATAPULTS

Crossbows & Catapults is a game where you set up your castle and men then take turns shooting at them.  The first version of the game came out in 1983.  There were just two figures that look like two barbarian clans.  Several companies including Tomy, Lakeside and Base Toys, put out versions of the game and expansion sets.  The game was updated in 2007 by Moose Toys with new figures and is now called Battleground: Crossbows & Catapults. This time there are six figures and it is knights vs orcs. The original figures are around 35mm and the new figures are around 30mm.  They don't work well with other toy soldiers unless you have some reason for smaller figures.  There was a competing game called Weapons & Warriors put out by Pressman in the mid 1990s that used 25mm knights.


The blue figures are from a replacement pack.

I don't know for certain that the gold guy leads these orcs, it might be the other way around.

Neither side looks like the good guys.  I like that.

Picture from ebay auction.

Picture from ebay auction.

6 comments:

  1. The original vikings and barbarians, given their small size, made for great Gnome an Goblin armies to use with the larger 52mm figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen any of the various expansion kits for the original Crossbows and Catapults game? They came out with some neat accessories for gameplay, including a cyclops, a minotaur, a dragon, and a trojan horse that all would throw the discs. I used to play this game for hours and hours. Finally got one again during Christmas, which also included a set of Arco Dragons N' Monsters towers inside the box as a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have my original Crossbows & Catapults set and play it with my nephews, although they prefer Battlesmasters board game by Milton Bradley. I have a few odd towers from a separate set as well that have catapults on top. The Arco tower from Dragons & Monsters made it into my crossbows play because of the similar design and feel, but later I usurped it back as my dice holder for either Dungeons & Dragons of Warhammer fantasy battles. As a kid I had the cyclops, dragon and minotaur, sadly all the examples I have seen on Ebay go for outrageous prices so I have yet to get them back again. I am a big fan of floor wars for kids; enjoying toys, board games, and table top games to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If smn sells Cyclops or Minotaur, please pm... ath.trampas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

ALL NEW FOR SALE LISTS!

Labels

Blog Archive